Withdrawing from school

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Withdrawing from school

I'm a microbiology and immunology major and this stuff bores me, all the jobs I realize now are boring. I'm a gamer so you can imagine how i spend my time, but mostly I like being and working with others. Do you guys have and experience of how you pursued your career of choice and what motivated you.

system on contruction of aplication------motivation make my own inde and make a robot btw :3

Comment

I have definitely experienced something similar to what you are going through right now, so I'll go ahead and share my story. I'm not sure if this will help in anyway, but here it goes.

Immediately after high school I enrolled into my local state college without really a clue of what I wanted to do or what I was interested in doing with my life. Looking back, I realize that I only went to college because I wanted to join a couple of my high school buddies and because it was what everybody else was doing.

While attending the said state college, I wasn't interested at all in what I was learning, I was immature, and I eventually dropped out of college after a year of a half. I became something I never wanted to be, a college drop out.

At this time, I was honestly lost and perhaps a bit depressed. I thought of joining the military, becoming a firefighter, a cop, a small business owner, but nothing really clicked for me. I ended up working at a nearby retail store located a few miles away from my parents home so that I could have a few extra dollars in my pocket. While working in retail I was openly miserable, I had zero drive, and had no idea of where my life was going. It seemed as though my life was ruined, and I blamed myself for never really putting work into my future.

My girl friend at the time was extremely bright and book smart, and I had no idea why she was with me. She attended a nearby community college because she couldn't afford to go to four year colleges although she had been accepted to many of the top schools in the country. After a year and a half of not being in college, I decided to take a class with her at her community college, for no other reason then to spend some more time with her and to avoid my living hell of a job. The class I took was not interesting to me and I ended up getting a B only because my girl friend had done the bulk of the work for me. The next semester I decided to take two classes instead of one, and I stumbled upon a topic that actually interested me. It was a weird learning about something that I was honestly interested in only because I had never really experienced that before. It was funny how something as simple as interest motivated me. Because I was interested in the topic, I remembered what was said during lectures, and did OK in the class although I didn't study or do homework. I decided right then that I would major in what that class was about because it came easy to me and because I thought I could leave my mark on the world through it.

Several years later, I successfully transferred from the community college and have graduated from the four year college of my dreams. I have accumulated a resume / CV that will almost certainly allow me to continue what I am doing at a PHD program of my choice, reasonably speaking of course. I will not lie, I have put in a lot of work, both at my community college and four year college. I had to dump some of my old habits, I surrounded myself with like minded individuals, I even detached myself from friends who I thought were bring me down with them. While hard work, and determination are certainly factors of success, I would argue the main reasons why I am on the path I am on now is because I found something I was honestly interested in and because I surrounded myself with positive and success driven individuals.

I know that "finding what you are interested in" isn't as easy as it sounds, but I want you to know that it is possible, even if you do drop out of college as I did. I found what I was interested in by taking a few different classes at my local community college, but I am sure there are other ways of doing so.

I'm also not advocating for you to drop out of your current college. I would advise you to do something I never did, which is to reach out to your college adviser and have an open and frank conversation with him/her. Who knows, they may be able to help you find something that you actually are interested in.

Keep your head up, and keep an open mind, I am sure you will find something.
      Last edited by ShotFake; 03-28-2017, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShotFake View Post
        The next semester I decided to take two classes instead of one, and I stumbled upon a topic that actually interested me. It was a weird learning about something that I was honestly interested in only because I had never really experienced that before. It was funny how something as simple as interest motivated me. Because I was interested in the topic, I remembered what was said during lectures, and did OK in the class although I didn't study or do homework. I decided right then that I would major in what that class was about because it came easy to me and because I thought I could leave my mark on the world through it.

I know that "finding what you are interested in" isn't as easy as it sounds, but I want you to know that it is possible, even if you do drop out of college as I did. I found what I was interested in by taking a few different classes at my local community college, but I am sure there are other ways of doing so.
        Thanks for sharing that. What was the topic/subject you ended up being interested in? Really interested to know.

I'm kind of struggling with what to study myself. If I did find something... there's also the issue of not wanting to go into serious debt for a degree in an obscure field without any real job prospects. Doing so might be even worse than never attending college in the first place?

Comment

Working...
        X